Sunday, May 22, 2011

Preschool with Mighty Math Power

Week of May 16

Verse: All that He made was good. Genesis 1:31

Theme: Garden

Sight Words: I, can, me, you

This past week was a little bit of a light week as far as school went, and I don’t have many pictures. We had kept so busy over the week-end before that by the time Monday rolled around I was just plain, old tired.

Monday morning I did take the kids to a fabulous play area on Post. It’s basically 1 big room divided into different preschool centers, another big room for gross motor skills, and a room with tables for snacks. The best part is that it is all free!!! We spent the majority of our time in the “Kitchen/Household Center", “Blocks Center” where the toy dinosaurs are located, and then in the gross motor skills room. Olivia learned how to walk on stilts…you know, the ones with string attached to a “can” that they step on. She had a ball figuring it out and did better than I expected. Isaiah just had a great time throwing the balls around…his 2nd favorite activity (his 1st favorite is running).

Bible

We continued with her Awana Cubbie book. It was all about creation, which was perfect because at church this week they talked about Creation…and plants in particular. Which was perfect because we started a gardening theme this week.

We also started “God’s Little Princess Devotional Bible.” We aren’t working on a Princess theme in particular anymore, but I do love teaching Olivia how valuable she is to us and to God through a Princess theme.

Reading

IMG_0673

Coloring her sight words by number. This is also a fine motor skill so necessary for writing…so, this is really a pre-writing skill too. She is really improving a ton in this area.

 IMG_0680

Spelling our sight words from You Can Read. She intentionally placed the letters on their side…I’m not sure if it was out of boredom or just part of her creativity. She has a strong tendency to want to “spice” things up a bit. I think it has a lot to do with her desire to be in control of things too.

IMG_0684

This was a fun activity…building sentences with the sight words and other words she knows.

 IMG_0690

Sequencing the growth of a seed. This went along with our garden theme. We didn’t do a whole lot this week with our garden theme…but I have some really fun activities planned for next week, and we may even carry it over to one last week before summer.

Writing

IMG_0688

She worked on several pre-writing skills this week. This was a dot to dot from You Can Read, and she also did the line tracing activity.

I have pulled away quite a bit from actual letter writing. I’ve noticed she gets in a hurry when she is doing any sort of writing, and I wanted to bring her back down a step to help her focus on taking her time and accuracy. She will also get a lot of her letter writing this Fall in Cottage School, so I don’t want her to advance too far to help prevent boredom this Fall. She can write quite a few letters already anyways.

Math

We continued working with Rightstart Mathematics this week, and I’m really starting to love it. I have to admit it has taken me a little while, but I love the way it builds on skills with each lesson. I have really seen evidence of Olivia grasping the skills she is learning even outside of our “school” time. I’m looking ahead a little bit, and instead of doing 1 full lesson a day I think we are going to have to start doing one full lesson over 2 days (which is what they actually recommend).

Other

IMG_0670 IMG_0672

This was an Origami Ladybug craft I printed off of Nick Jr. We also tried the star and the fish…but I hate to admit I couldn’t figure it out. I blame the instructions (o;

Even though these aren’t all the activities we did, it’s a good snapshot of our light week of school.

No comments: